Castle point was the first lighthouse in East London and was built in 1873. It consisted of a square tower which was made of timber and rubble. The tower ascended in the form of a pyramid and was painted red and white. This lighthouse was in operation from August 1860 until June 1895 when Hood Point took over. The lighthouse was demolished in 1929; pictures are available at East London Museum.